Amateur Photography: School Lunch



7 comments



    So it comes as no joke when I say that I’m a big foodie. To me food is not just for nourishment or something that I have to have for survival. For me, food is something I love, I crave for, I appreciate and cherish. It’s something that I look forward to in a day, a week, a month, a year. Maybe to just say that I’m a foodie can be an understatement. The more accurate term here is “food whore.” No joke, food is love. :)


     I’ve been like this for a while. You wouldn’t expect it from me though since I don’t look like a foodie at all, being skinny and all. Ah, the perks of having a fast metabolism. Anyways, I developed this hobby at the same time when I started blogging which complements my being a foodie: I’m slowly trying to be an amateur food photographer. I feel like a sort of hipster among others in my school but I’ll do it for food’s sake. I’m currently using a Samsung ES28 point and shoot with 12 megapixels and 5 times optical zoom.

     Featured in this post are my attempts to practice with a point and shoot which I can say is pretty decent. The pics here are some food we bought during our school lunch break. My friend had shawarma rice-- just imagine the typical shawarma but it's placed like a viand over java rice. All the shawarma condiments as wells as the onions, tomatoes, etc. go over the top as well. I think this is a Filipino thing since Filipinos love to turn food that isn't rice as a viand, even if it's noodles or soy sauce. I bought a rice, pork siomai, sharksfin siomai and japanese siomai. For those who are wondering what "siomai" is, it's dimsum or dumplings which are very common in the Philippines.
oozing shawarma goodness

shawarma rice top view
siomai mugshot

siomai meal yum!
      I don’t know much at all about the iso, white balance and other settings since I’m really new at this but I’m hoping I can tamper with the settings bit by bit even if it’s quite limited in a point and shoot. I’m continuing to practice photography so that I can produce better shots and compose better images. Satisfying my foodie side. Hope I can master the point and shoot before upgrading. What can you recommend for better food photos for a newbie like me? Let me know! :D

7 comments:

Anonymous at: November 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM said...

I recommend you visit sites like this: [http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-tips/photographing-food/]. But you are a natural!

Time to Chill at: November 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM said...

thanks for the site. always need more sites to get advice from for food photography. :D

Photography Services In Collins at: January 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM said...

This post is informative for me and all other readers.RH Stamps

Time to Chill at: January 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM said...

@photography services- thank you!

Unknown at: February 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM said...

I feel like a sort of hipster among others in my school but I’ll do it for food’s sake. I’m currently using a Samsung ES28 point and shoot with 12 megapixels and 5 times optical zoom. digital photography school

teresa bowen at: March 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM said...

Such an interesting post in terms of photography and I heard that the philippines web design is one of the best and no wonder because we all know that Philippines is the best in terms of designing. Such a creative mind!

WIND INFO at: April 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM said...

Good stuff. It is interesting to read comments.

Post a Comment

newer post older post